Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction by David Sheff (2018) 362.299S

 

I do not typically read non-fiction. Not because I don’t respect the genre, but I find that at this age I enjoy reading for pleasure and escape. But this book got so much hype I couldn’t help but check it out. It was also an option on one for the Beanstack reading challenges in which I was participating.

Beautiful Boy is the true story of one man’s path alongside his drug addicted son. In fact, David’s preoccupation with Nic’s situation becomes an addiction in itself. While the story does discuss some of Nic’s thoughts and feelings; it is more focused on how the addiction of a family member affects the parents and siblings. I cried a lot reading how David took on the burden of assuming he had done wrong when raising Nic. I couldn’t imagine how hard it must have been for David when he hit rock bottom of his co-dependency at the same time as his son with his addiction.

If you are not already a non-fiction reader, please take the time to read this one.

4.09 stars on Goodreads, 4.7 on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment